Saturday, October 28, 2006

Menu of the day


I can't figure out why nobody in New Zealand does the whole menu du jour thing. It's such a good idea: menu du jour, menu del dio, whatever: just a set menu, at a set price, that's different every day and features whatever's good and abundant at the time.

We quickly figured out that this was the way to get interesting, seasonal food in most restaurants, starting in France and working our way down. It's usually extremely good value, too. Although even posh places do it, and the price varies accordingly. In France it's typically a choice of entree plus main, or main plus dessert for a set price, or you can have all three for a bit more. In Italy it seems to be two or three courses, set price. Best of all though, was when I discovered that in Spain, there's actually a government regulation that says restaurants have to offer a menu of the day! It's so workers have a good, cheap meal at lunchtime. Now that's my kind of government.

The first place we encountered this was our first meal in Barcelona, at a cool cafe in a quiet square in the Gothic quarter. It was called Mi Burrito y yo, which may mean "my donkey and me" (If I actually spoke Spanish I would know). Anyway, the menu del dio there was superb. Firstly we had the very typical Catalonian tomato bread, which our waitress, sensing us to be new to the concept, demonstrated. Toasted bread, tomatoes and garlic cloves are brought to the table. You cut the garlic clove, rub it over the bread, then cut the tomato and rub and squish it into the bread on top. Then you sprinkle with olive oil and salt, and devour. Fantastic! Interactive and delicious; my favourite kind of food.

Anyway that was just a starter. Our entrees were a salad with manchego for Sandy (not super exciting, except for the cheese) and a lovely bowl of bean and sausage soup for me, which was savoury and tasty and healthy. I won that round. Next was a whole fish for me, with plain potatoes and a bit of a tomato-based sauce. It was fresh and delicious and perfectly cooked. Sandy had a very nicely roasted bit of rabbit with roasted peppers and an accompanying bowl of aioli which I had to dip into for my spuds. We will not be getting colds any time soon with all that garlic in us. All this plus a half bottle of local rose, a bottle of water, coffee and dessert was - wait for it - 10 euros each. That was the bargain of the week and had us saying 'Barcelona, muy bueno".

No comments: