Wednesday, September 20, 2006

First tastes of Pareeee


I think Paris is more me than London was.

Getting our bearings today, we walked quite a few kilometres around town. We covered the requisite landmarks: the tower, the arc, the Louvre. The city was misty today; the fog seems to be following us around. But in Paris it didn't matter; the city was still waiting for us to discover its treasures.

I'm glad we crossed the river and I'm also glad I insisted we back track a bit from the park in front of the Eiffel tower to the streets below it. I fancied a restaurant called Cafe Constant on the Rue Saint Dominique. It was an unpretentious place with a blackboard menu and an interesting clientele (which basically all Parisiens are to me right now). We are terrine de campagne and a tomato salad bursting with flavour to start, and then the plat du jour, which was leg of lamb with a white bean stew. The best bit though, was the dessert, described as "fig tart", a description I feel really undersold it. Super-ripe, fresh dark figs sat atop the crispiest pastry base with a scoop of perfect vanilla icecream and a scattering of fresh raspberries and strawberries. We thought it only fair to add a couple of glasses of sweet wine. So good. I loved everything about Paris after that.


Earlier we had come across a fabulous street full of food shops and markets, the Rue Cler. The Fromagerie knocked my socks off; if I could somehow transmit its aroma via electronic means I would. I was desperate to buy some cheese but alas we have nowhere to keep it here in our hotel! So close to the cheese, and yet so far from eating it.... I will find a way.

On the way home we passed the somewhat bizzare memorial to Princess Diana which is right above the underpass where she died. Sandy took me to the American Cathedral, too, which is where Grant's memorial service was held. We lit a candle there and reflected for a moment; it is a peaceful and lovely spot in the middle of the busy city.

No comments: